Thursday, September 17, 2009

Floral Homage to The Virgen of the Angustias






September 15th is the Day of the Matron Saint of Granada, The Virgin of the Angustias. People leave boquets of flowers at the Church of the Virgin of the Angustias. They then place the flowers on scaffolding set up at the front of the church. The inside, which is already the most ornate church I have ever been inside, is also decorated.

The buoquets for sale on the street. There were dozens of these vendors.














A up-close of the flowers.




























This is the entrance to the church. The heart and ribbons over the door are made of carnations.







This is one of the steeples with the flowers in front. The church is surprisingly big and it is right in the middle of the city so it appears out of nowhere.





That is me in the corner to put the number of flowers into perspective. I do not know if you can tell but I was also eating the biggest cone of helado I found thus far in Granada. The flavors I chose were white chocolate and Ferrero Rocher.

2 comments:

  1. That's very impressive and neat. Hope you enjoyed the the flowers as much as you did the helado.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a treat for the eyes, nose and mouth.

    ReplyDelete